Tipperary Southern & District Football League Website

Killusty FC

Secretary: Chris Coen

Address: Cedar Grove, Fethard, Co. Tipperary

Phone: 086-0334797

Emergency Phone:

Location: Killusty Village, Co. Tipperary

Colours: (Junior) Blue & White


Killusty Soccer Club was formed in 1969. The seeds for this venture were sown in Dan Davis’ house in Killusty which was occupied at that time by the Coen family. The first match was played at the Lawn, Ballymacarbry on Sunday, 6 December, 1970. The panel of players was Joe Allen, Tom Halpin, Louis Coen, Pat Ryan, Noel Byrne, Michael Prout, Mick Holohan, Mick Ryan, Christopher Aylward, Paddy Halpin, Sean Aylward, Philip Byrne, John Tobin, Pat Aylward and Ken Ryan. The result was 5-4 in our favour. Paddy Halpin got our first goal. Other scorers were Mick Holohan – 2, Noel Byrne -1, and Mick Ryan – 1. Both John Tobin and Pat Ryan have since departed this life (R.I.P.). Jim O’Driscoll who worked locally was our first outside player.

The first general meeting was held on 29 January 1971 and the following officers were elected. Chairman: Mick Halpin, Vice Chairman: Christy Williams, Secretary: Paddy Halpin, Assistant Secretary: Sean Aylward, Treasurer: Louis Coen, Club Captain: Pat Ryan.

The first colours were amber jerseys, blue socks and togs. We now play in blue and white. The first name was Anner Villa but this was changed to Killusty on 9 April 1971. The GAA ban was in force then and there was a fair bit of opposition to soccer being played in the parish. But the ban was removed soon after that and so it was easier for players to play both codes. The enthusiasm was so great in those earlier years that on 2 May 1971 two games were played on the same day. In fact, some players played a GAA match in between the two soccer matches. The first official league game was played on 12 September 1971 against Bansha and was won 8-2 – scorers: Noel Byrne – 4, Brendan Kenny – 3, and an own goal. Other memorable years were 1979, when the first division league was won, 1986 the Tipperary cup, and 1990 when St. Michael’s were defeated in the final. St. Michael’s at that time were Munster junior champions. Also in 1990 we won our third second division shield and second division league.