Match Reports

Liam Murphy Fitness Repairs

FAI Junior Cup, 1st Round, 25th September 2022 Match Reports

Clonmel Town 6 – 1 Galbally United

The first round of this year’s long road to the FAI Junior Cup began in Clonmel on Sunday morning, when the current league leaders faced a potential banana skin in a Galbally side that has had some good cup runs in recent years. But form and class shone out, with the home side progressing easily enough after a comprehensive win. Town were dominant from the off and opened the scoring in the eighteenth minute when Alan O Donnell was taken down in the box for a penalty, before standing up and converting the resultant spot kick. Three minutes later, Jack O Donnell went on a run from deep inside his own half, before unleashing a shot that gave the visiting keeper no chance, doubling his sides lead. But Galbally didn’t fold and pulled a goal of their own back just before the half hour mark, when they were awarded a free kick just outside the home sides penalty area, and Jordan Dineen sent a cracker to the net to make the score two goals to one. But only six minutes later the hosts restored their two-goal cushion when Craig Guiry found the net after an excellent assist by Alan O Donnell. The crucial goal arrived almost on the stroke of half time when a Jack O Donnell corner was met by Stephen Kelly who powered a shot past the stranded Galbally keeper to leave it four goals to one at the break, and set the home side up for a comfortable second half. Within five minutes of the restart the rampant Alan O Donnell was once again fouled inside the penalty area and once again he would step up to put his side five goals to one in front. The game was well over as a contest when Kyle Delaney got the goal he fully deserved on the hour mark with a sublime effort from just outside the box. It was in danger of been a massacre for Galbally but to their credit they held firm and had one or two chances of their own before the end but couldn’t capitalise. Town will be satisfied with their performance that sees them safely through to the next round.

Clonmel Celtic 4 – 1 Vee Rovers

In the only all Premier League tie of the first round of this year’s FAI Junior Cup, Clonmel Celtic eventually overcame a dogged Vee Rovers challenge, before pulling away to four goals to one win that sees them in the hat for the next round of the competition. The visitors have had a tough start to the season and were searching for their first win, and made it difficult for their in-form hosts throughout a very competitive first half. Celtic struggled to create any clear-cut openings with a couple of Paul Kennedy efforts easily saved by the visiting keeper. A slick move on the half hour mark got Celtic in behind the Rovers rear-guard, but once again the keeper denied Darren Sweeney with a fine save. The first half finished scoreless, but the home team upped the ante, and finally got their noses in front two minutes before the hour mark when Rory O’Dowd converted a penalty after he was tripped in the box. They doubled their advantage five minutes later when Darren Sweeney took advantage of a defensive mix up to score from close range, giving themselves a little breathing space in the tie. But the visitors continued to battle, and after some confusion in the home defence, Zach Keating pulled a goal back, to really put the game back in the melting pot. Eight minutes from time however, Celtic made the game safe, when a delicious ball from Paul Kennedy found Darren Sweeney down the left, who crossed to Seanie Hawkins, and he produced a very neat finish against the flailing Rovers backline. Four minutes from time, the in-form Hawkins put the cherry on top when he added his second with a delicate chip over the advancing keeper to see Celtic home.

Cashel Town 3 – 1 Mullinahone

Still awaiting their first league win of the season, Cashel Town advanced to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup, with a hard fought win against a dogged Mullinahone side at Palmershill on Sunday afternoon. The home side took the lead on seventeen minutes through Jack Fitzpatrick, who finished from close range after a corner was flicked on from the front post. The rest of the half was played out in mainly a dour midfield battle with neither side creating a lot of chances. The second half started similarly, but the visitors finally drew level in the sixty third minute when they were awarded a penalty kick that was converted by Alex Maher. But the hosts shook off this setback and regained the lead five minutes later with a brilliant finish from Kyle Ryan from the edge of the box. They made the game safe seven minutes from time when David O’Dwyer converted from close range after a great cross from Shane Tarrant, lifting the spirits of the club for the time being at least.

Clerihan 2 – 3 Killenaule Rovers (AET)

Killenaule Rovers have enjoyed their best start to a league season in years in the Third Division and brought this form with them on Sunday when they upset another in form team in Clerihan in the first round of this years Junior Cup. The game started brightly for both sides but the hosts had the better of what chances were on offer, and took the lead in the twenty first minutes when a short corner from Sean Maher found Daniel Quigley free to fire to back of the net from all of thirty yards. It was no more than Clerihan deserved, but the visitors rallied and gave up no more opportunities and went to the break only behind by a single goal. They made their task harder however five minutes into the second period when they were reduced to ten men but if anything, they began to play better and equalised only minutes later after capitalising on a mistake in the home team’s defence. Clerihan seemed to struggle with finding what to do with the extra man, and were stunned again on the hour mark when the visitors struck a second goal and took the lead. But the hosts eventually steadied the ship and equalised with a brilliant goal by Dylan Bates in the seventy second minute. Shortly after the home side had two more excellent chances but Cathal O’Mahoney hit the crossbar and Sean Maher fired narrowly wide from inside the area after springing the visitors offside trap. There were no more goals before the end, and Maher had the ball in the net, early in extra time, only to be adjudged offside. With eight minutes to go in time added on, the visitors got the crucial third goal and despite a late onslaught of the Killenaule area by the hosts, they held on to claim the win and advance to the next stage of the competition.

Cullen Lattin 2 – 1 Old Bridge

Cullen welcomed Old Bridge to Aisling Park, for the first round of the Junior Cup on Sunday, but spent most of the first half of the game pinned back and relying on Darren Hueston in the home goal to stay in the game before it really even got going. The Bridge controlled the possession but were very lax in creating chances, and the game went to the break level at nil all. But the visitors finally made their pressure tell, and forced an own goal from the hosts seven minutes into the second period, when they created confusion at a corner kick. This prompted the hosts to make some formation changes, and these changed the course of the tie. They began to control more of the ball, and eighteen minutes from time, another set piece goal was scored when the hosts Thomas O Mahoney was on hand to stab home a corner kick. Ten minutes from the end, Micheal Mc Elligott got the all important winning goal, when Tony O Neill did well down the left and his low cross was cleverly stepped over by Mikey Stokes for Elligott to smash it home.

BT Harps 1 – 2 Cahir Park

TSDL side Cahir Park travelled North to play BT Harps on Sunday afternoon, and came from behind to book their place in the second round of this years Junior Cup.  The South Tipperary team started the better, and dominated the first quarter of the game, but they were caught with a counter attack in the twenty sixth minute and fell behind to a well taken individual goal. The next ten mins were even, with both sides having chances, but the visitors eventually regained control and got a deserved equaliser a minute before the break when Stephen Duggan finished well from twelve yards out. The second half continued with the visitors doing all the controlling and they finally went ahead just after the hour mark, when Andy Fitzpatrick curled home a free kick from well outside the area. The home team began to chase the game and put the South Tipp side under considerable pressure, drawing two excellent saves from Eoghan Doyle in the Cahir goal, before closing out the game and taking the victory.

Lough Derg 0 – 3 Rosegreen Rangers

Probably the longest trip of all the South Tipperary sides was that of Rosegreen Rangers’ on Sunday afternoon, but it was worth it when they came away with a well earned win against North Tipperary side Lough Derg. The did however, have to first put up with a bit of an onslaught from the home side, who cannoned a ball off the crossbar as early as the first minute of the game. But once the Rangers had settled into the game they took control and went in front in the twentieth minute thanks to a fantastic strike by TJ Ryan from all of twenty five yards out. Ten minutes before the break, they doubled the advantage from a Ryan header, and thought they had made it three just before the when they had the ball in the net, only to see the effort ruled offside. The second half was a tamer affair with Rosegreen happy to concede possession and territory to the home side, but always maintaining the capacity to break out and attack when they chose to do so. They finally put the result beyond doubt ten minutes from the end when they added a third goal through Dan Currivan, getting a good win that shortened the road home considerably.

Birdhill FC 0 – 8 Wilderness Rovers

Coming off their first league win last weekend, and with strength and depth finally added into the squad, Wilderness Rovers easily accounted for NTDL side Birdhill on Sunday afternoon in the Junior Cup.  The South Tipperary side controlled the game from start to finish, constantly attacking and moving the ball throughout. A Sean Browne hat trick was the standout contribution, along with a brace from Graham Kelly, and Jayden Cagney, Conor Anderson and an own goal making up the scores.

Sallypark 4 – 3 Bansha Celtic

The away team started quickly and threatened the Sallypark goal on numerous occasions in the first few mins without any end product, but eventually broke the deadlock through Kevin Power after ten minutes. But the home side eventually settled down and got level almost immediately after a defensive mix up. This seemed to rock the South Tipperary side and they went behind in the twentieth minute when the home side scored from a set piece. But Celtic came back again as the game went too and fro, levelling after Daire Egan found the net from twenty five yards out on the half hour mark. This wasn’t the end of the scoring in a rip roaring first half, and the visitors retook the lead minutes from the break when Niall Daly headed home from ten yards out. The second half was barely two minutes old when Bansha were reduced to ten men, and the home side drew level from the resulting penalty. The game was reduced to long balls up and down the field after this and Bansha were denied what looked like a clear penalty when a home defender seemed to have handled the ball on the goal line but their efforts were waved away. The real kick however for Bansha after making the long trip, was seeing Sallypark hit a winner two minutes from time, when it looked like the game was heading for extra time, giving the TSDL side no time to get back and force the matter any further.

St Michael’s 2 – 0 Two Mile Borris

Saints got the better of a dour cup tie against an energetic and determined Borris side who bought a lot to this Fai Junior Cup tie at Cooke Park, but ultimately came up short against a side for who winning the competition is seen at the beginning of each season as a genuine possibility. But just three minutes in the visitors could have been ahead when Loran O’Toole got on the end of a corner from the right but his header the power to trouble the home keeper. The home side slowly played themselves into the game, and began to create chances, with David Slattery and Rhys Byron being especially prominent in attack. But they too lacked the composure in front of goal to take advantage of their sides good build up play, and the game went to the break level at nil all. Borris again troubled the hosts in the early minutes of the second period, but like in the first half, as the game settled down, the home side slowly took control, and they eventually opened the scoring in the sixty sixth minute when Russell Quirke was upended in the penalty area, and David Slattery fired home from the resultant spot kick. This forced Borris to commit more to attacking in the hope of getting back level, and Danny Rafter almost levelled in the seventy third minute, but couldn’t connect with a cross into the area. A Loran O Toole header minutes later also went narrowly past the post. The home side needed an assurance goal and it came eleven minutes from time when Russell Quirke freed Ashley Kelliher on the right and instead of shooting, he squared the ball inside for David Slattery who fired past the stranded Borris keeper from just inside the box. This took the wind out of the visitors sails, and the home side coasted through the final minutes to assure themselves of their place in the next round of the competition.

TSDL Third Division 25th September 2022 Match Reports

Donohill and District 2 – 1 Kilsheelan United

Donohill put some tough results in recent weeks behind them when they claimed a victory against in form Kilsheelan United at home on Sunday afternoon last. In a tough game with neither side giving anything away easily, the visitors opened the scoring in the fifteenth minute through a fine finish by Nathan Dolan. After that United were the better side but were unable to add to their tally, and paid for their profligacy in front of goal, when the home side levelled matters ten minutes before the break, courtesy of a strike by Michael Buckley after some good work between him and Chris Malone. Level at break, it was the hosts who took control in the second period and twenty minutes from time finally took the lead when Jerry O Neill converted a cross from Seanie Ryan. Kilsheelan lost their discipline after this and were reduced to nine men, making it much easier for the home side to play out the final minutes without scares and claim the valuable three points.

Tipperary Town 0 – 3 Moyglass United

The home side started this game quite well and were slightly on top when an injury to star player Mark Roche changed the game. With Roche receiving treatment off the field the away side struck through Jamie Morrissey in the twenty second minute minute to make it one nil, with a well worked and well taken goal, and they never looked back from there.  It was even enough for the rest of the first half with the home side playing some decent football but failing to create anything of real note. Moyglass who were making much more of things in front of goal and struck again through Shane Morrissey close to half time to make it two goals to nil at the break. Town made a number of changes at the break and again started the half well with Jordan Cummins causing problems down the left, but too often being let down by their inability to convert chances to scores. The visitors assured themselves of the three points when Shane Morrisey bagged his second and made it three goals to nil twenty minutes from time.

TSDL Youths 25th September Match Reports

Two Mile Borris 0 – 3 Clonmel Celtic

Both teams came into this game with full points from their first three games and they played a very even first half with few chances to score for either team. The defences were well on top, with neither team wanting to commit too much, making it a tactical battle for the watching crowd at Newhill Park. They went into the break at nil all, and this continued through the first quarter of an hour of the second period. As legs began to tire however, space began to open up and the visitors took the lead on the hour mark when Daithi Hogan shot from the edge of the box to find the bottom right hand corner of the net with the home keeper stranded. The hosts tried to regroup and pushed forward in search of an equaliser but were caught brilliantly on the break ten minutes later, when Senan Butler made no mistake with a cool finish to the empty net. Celtic wrapped up all three points when Ciaran Fitzpatrick was quickest to react when a ball was parried by the home keeper to tap home with five minutes left in the game.

Slievenamon Celtic 1 – 4 Clonmel Town

After their very bright title winning campaign last year, Slievenamon Celtic are finding it a little more difficult this time around, and went down to another defeat at the weekend, this time to Clonmel Town in what is proving a very difficult. They started off sluggishly and Town took a foothold in the game early on when Milo McNamara with a quite beautiful finish with his left foot gave his side the lead. Although the hosts were finding their way out from the back with some nice football it never materialised into any clear-cut chances, and the visitors always had the potential to carve the home side up when they attacked. The second half began much better for the home side and Eoin Barry was unlucky not to level the game, seeing his effort palmed onto the post and cleared away to safety. But the visitors eventually made pressure pay and doubled their lead soon after when they seized upon a loose pass from the back and Darragh Walsh scored from an acute angle. Two became three and four in short order, with a Billy Tierney header from a corner and Darragh Cronin benefiting from poor marking, to put the game completely out of the reach of the home side. Celtic did have the final say when a nice ball up the line from Daniel Condon found Cian Phelan who calmly finished into the bottom corner, for a consolation goal, but it was never anything more than that.

Munster Youths Cup, First Round 24th of September 2022 Match Report

Cullen Lattin 2 – 3 Peake Villa

Peake Villa put poor early season youths form behind them on Sunday to claim a victory over Cullen in the first round of the Munster Youths cup. As in all of the home sides games this season it didn’t look like they would be the losing side at half time, going into the break a goal up after Dylan Mc Grath converted a penalty that he had won himself. Things got better for the home side on the hour mark when Mc Grath doubled their lead with a rocket into the bottom corner of the net. But somehow in the last twenty minutes, the wheels came off for the hosts with Villa scoring three goals in a frantic fifteen minute spell that shook the Cullen side to the core. The first two of those goals came from Daniel Rossiter, with Kieran Purcell scoring the all-important winner. Although Cullen tried to respond, the Thurles side defended well and hung on to their victory to progress to the next round.

Youths Round up

 In the other two youths games at the weekend, Bansha Celtic welcomed Cashel Town to Bansha in the first round of the Munster Youths cup. The two teams played out a very entertaining game with just a single goal in five separating the sides in the end, with Celtic coming out the victors, being on the right side of a three goal to two win. In Second Division Youth League action, Shanbally United look very strong, and re-iterated that again on Saturday when they travelled to Mullinahone and claimed an easy victory by seven goals to two.

TSDL Premier League 18th September 2022 Match Reports


Two Mile Borris 2 – 2 Clonmel Celtic

These two sides played out a very entertaining draw in Newhill Park on Sunday when the home side rescued a deserved draw against a Clonmel Celtic side who are enjoying some good results on their return to the Premier League. The visitors were coming off a big win last weekend, and started off again on the front foot, catching the home defence cold after only five minutes and setting up Mark Heffernan to fire to the net from close range. But the home side took control of the game afterwards and forced the Clonmel side back on numerous occasions, but were unable to press the possession home, with no more goals scored in the first half. The second half started in a similar fashion with Borris coming out all guns blazing, and they finally brought the game level in the sixty fifth minute when Dylan Lee headed home from close range to the delight of the home fans. But ten minutes later, as they went looking for the lead goal they got caught on the break, and after a catastrophic defensive mix up, Rory O Dowd was left all alone to tap in from less than five yards and restore Celtics lead. They then fell back and invited the home side to try to break them down, and it looked like this tactic would yield the points, but in the final minute of the game, a Martin Darmody free kick landed on the head of Urban Nolan and he found the net with an excellent equaliser that ensured Borris would get at least a point from the game.

Bansha Celtic 0 – 3 Peake Villa

Peake Villa, who contested the top end of the Premier League table for much of last season, look like they will be a similar proposition this year, with a very clinical and controlled performance in taking the points at Bansha on Sunday. The visitors here started well having the majority of possession without creating anything of note in the early stages, before from nowhere, a piece of individual brilliance by Pippy Carroll put his side ahead, after he volleyed home from all of thirty yards out. Bansha had a decent chance to level things up shortly after, but were wasteful in delaying their effort, allow the Peake defence to get back and clear. And that proved crucial when ten minutes from the break, Villa doubled their lead through a second by Carroll, this time a tap in when the home keeper was unable to hold onto an earlier shot. The second half was a more even affair with both sides battling hard, and again the home side were desperately unlucky not to pull a goal back when they saw a Tony Egan come back off the cross bar from an excellently hit free kick. But Peake made sure there would be no comeback inside the last five minutes when they tacked on a third goal after Ronan McGuire finished well from a cut back ball.

Vee Rovers 2 – 4 Wilderness Rovers

Wilderness Rovers finally picked up a win at the fifth time of asking on their Premier League return with a good win in Clogheen at Vee Rovers, who are facing a long season battling relegation, as they struggle with a weakened side. The game itself was good one with both teams having chances before the visitors opened the scoring just after the half hour mark after good work through the middle found Killian Hogan in space, and he made no mistake firing past the stranded Vee keeper. They added a second five minutes before the break when Dean Mc Loughlin scored with a shot from inside the back, sending his side to half time two goals to the good. The hosts pulled a goal back five minutes into the second period thanks to an excellent header by Thomas Quirke from a corner kick, but in their pressure to try to get an equaliser, they were caught on the break and Jack Landy restored the visitors two goal lead, just after the hour mark. Twenty minutes from the end the home side were awarded a penalty and Quirke added his second from the spot. But the Wildies were not going to be denied the points and Sean Browne made sure of them when he scored in time added on to add the fourth and insurance goal for his side

St Michael’s 2 – 0 Cashel Town

Saints took a long time to wear down a resolute Cashel Town rear-guard action but finished the game strongly to take the points at Cooke Park, on Sunday afternoon to maintain their 100% start to the season. They were unlucky not to score early when Paul Breen fired an effort over the bar from close in, but this was a harbinger of things to come as they saw themselves be frustrated time and again in the half. They reshuffled their pack in the second period and again laid siege to the visitors goal, but it took them until the seventy first minute to finally break the Cashel defence down, when Rhys Byron got a flick on a Kenny Cunningham cross, and saw the ball fly to the back of the net. That said, they still had to wait until the final moments to finally kill off the Cashel challenge when Paul Breen made up for his early miss, with a late goal, as he too took advantage of a Cunningham cross to find the net. Two goals, three wins, but the Saints will have to be a lot more clinical as the season progresses.

TSDL First Division 18th September Match Reports 2022

Clonmel Town 1 – 2 Cahir Park

Cahir Park picked up their second win of the season away to Clonmel Town on Sunday with a win by the odd goal in three as they attempt to bounce straight back to the Premier League following last season relegation. Town started on the front foot, but were guilty of spurning a number of chances in the first quarter of an hour. They were punished for this when in the seventeenth minute, after a Cahir Park set piece was flicked on and the Alex Botezatu gave the keeper no chance from ten yards out. The hosts responded well and kept the pressure on, but were denied twice first when they hit the underneath of the crossbar, and then when a defender brilliantly cleared the ball off the line. The second half was only three minutes old, when against the run of play the visitors doubled their advantage when a brilliant twenty five yard strike found its way to Tom Keating and he slid is past the stranded keeper and into the bottom corner. The home team were finally rewarded for their perseverance when Stephen Kelly brilliantly rose above everyone to cut the deficit in the final minute of the game, but The Park showed their higher league experience to play out the final minutes and take the points.

Mullinahone 3 – 2 St Michael’s

Mullinahone secured their first win of the season by the odd goal in five with a win over St Michael’s on Sunday morning. The home side started well and opened the scoring in the twelfth minute when Alex Maher beat the visitors defence and squared a ball for Jamie Hindley to finish to the net. The game settled after this with both sides finding it difficult to carve out chances and there were no more goals before the half time break. Ten minutes into the second period, the hosts doubled their lead when Maher again set up a goal, this time from Johnny Lawlor to take the honours in the fifty fifth minute. But just two minutes later Cathal Bergin pulled a goal back for the Saints and put the game back in the melting pot. However, the response from the home side was almost immediate and Lawlor got a second right on the hour mark, to return his side to a two goal lead. It looked like the game would run down into an easy win for Mullinahone, but with seven minutes to play they were reduced to ten players after a sending off, and Antonio Rea scored the resultant penalty, albeit at the second attempt to set up a big finish. The home side held firm however and saw the game out, taking all three points in the end.

Old Bridge 2 – 0 Peake Villa

A well contested game between two attack minded teams played at a sunny Green Lane on Sunday morning, saw the hosts get their first points of the season in a win against Thurles side Peake Vilas seconds. The Bridge dominated the early exchanges and after fifteen minutes took the lead when Ben Nugent finished to the net after a defence splitting pass from Emmet Fahey. Johnny Cagney, Darren Guiry and Craig Condon had great chances to increase the advantage but great defending from Peake Villa kept the score at just one to nil at the break. The visitors came back hard at the beginning of the second period and were in the ascendency in the early stages. But Bridge rode out the storm, defending stoutly and dealing well with the pressure.  The decisive score arrived fifteen minutes from the end when the home side were awarded a penalty which was duly converted by Cagney to give them some breeding space in what was a frenetic tie. The game continued in the same vein until the final whistle, but the home side kept their composure to run out winners.

TSDL Second Division 18th September Match Reports 2022

Rosegreen Rangers 0 – 1 Suirside

Suirside responded well to their first defeat in almost a season and a half last weekend by travelling to Nijinsky Park in Rosegreen and coming away with a hard fought single goal win. The two teams played out a hard but fair game, and the only moment of real class was that which yielded the goal ten minutes before the break, when Jason Coffey took advantage of a slip by a defender to clinically punish him and fire home from the edge of the area. Rosegreen battled hard throughout the second period to try to pull the game back level, hitting the woodwork on a number of occasions, but in the end the single goal was enough for Suirside to get back on track in their push for successive promotions through the TSDL Divisions.

Dualla 2 – 1 St Nicholas

This was a very slow tentative game with both side having some early chances but never really looking like they were going to break the deadlock in the turgid first half. The visitors came closest midway through, when the forced an excellent save from Eoin Batman Fitzgerald, in the Dualla goal, while the home side were reduced to living off scraps especially from set pieces, before the two sides went in goalless t half time. The hosts seemed more anxious to get a grip on the game in the early parts of the second period, but after committing to an attack, they found themselves behind when a quick break by the Saints found John Shanahan all alone and he made no mistake. Things got worse for the home side when they were reduced to ten men, but they got a lifeline back into the game in the sixty fifth minute when Michael Barron headed home a free kick to level the game. Despite being a man down, the home side were the ones doing all the pressing and took the lead late on when Ger O Dwyer was quickest to react at another set piece and he tapped the ball into an empty net. Stunned by this, the visitors pushed to try to get  leveller and thought the had found one in the final minute when a striker found himself in space, only to fire his effort high and wide and ensure the points would stay in Dualla.

Cullen Lattin 2 – 1 Galbally United

Cullen welcomed neighbours Galbally to Aisling Park Cullen for a derby game on Sunday, and dominated the early exchanges, almost opening the scoring in the third minute when Danny O Dwyer rattled the cross bar, and Micheàl Elligott denied from the rebound only by a point blank clearance by visiting defender Bernard O Brien. The early pressure finally did pay off though, when midfielder Tony O Neill picked up the ball thirty yards from goal and ran at the visiting defence before unleashing a left footed shot into the bottom corner to put Cullen one up just after the hour mark. But the advantage lasted only minutes when Galbally equalised through Owen O Sullivan who converted a peach of a cross from Josh Dineen. That wasn’t to be the end of the first half scoring though, as Galbally had barely finished celebrating before O Dwyer and Mc Elligott combined again with the latter heading home minutes before the break. Cullen should have added more in the second period as they were creating the better chances, but a stout defence and some wayward shooting meant that while they won the points, they were unable to add anything to the score board. Galbally finished strong with a few long throws in and free kicks delivered into the box but Cullen defence hung on for the win

Cashel Town 1 – 2 Clerihan

All the goals arrived in the first half here, as the home side continued their inconsistent start of the new season, against the visitors who picked up their second win of the campaign. Clerihan took the lead on fifteen minutes with a goal from Aidan Phelan who finished well from ten yards out after some good build up play. But the hosts Cashel equalised in the twenty seventh minute when a free kick from Sean Cormack left the visitors keeper stranded on the line, with no chance to keep the ball out. The celebrations barely lasted a minute however as Clerihan forced the home defence in a mistake less than a minute later and Brian Landers took full advantage to score from just inside the area. After that both sides played out a pretty even contest with some half chances going a begging. But it was the visitors day as they leap frog their neighbours in the title and promotion race.

TSDL Third Division 18th September 2022 Match Reports

Kilsheelan United 3 – 4 Moyglass United

Moyglass United came out on top on Sunday morning in a game that had a spectacular ending with the home side looking like they had secured the most unlikely of draws, before succumbing to a sucker punch right at the death of the game. The visitors started much the better side, and found themselves a goal up inside the first minute when Eddie O’Brien tapped in at the back post. Kilsheelan eventually played themselves into the tie and the visitors made it hard for themselves being reduced to ten men before the half hour mark. But despite that disadvantage the away side were the ones to score next and doubled their lead when a long throw caught out the Kilsheelan defence and Jack Hayes headed home five minutes before the break. Things got worse for the hosts right on the stroke of half time when Jamie Morrissey volleyed home after a deep-cross, making it look like the game was done and dusted. And despite making half time changes, the home side found a stubborn visiting defence hard to break down right throughout the second period. The game looked like petering out for most of the half, but very few could have imagined the explosive last few minutes that were in store. Five minutes from the end, a speculative shot from almost the half way line by Jack Quigley nestled in the Moyglass net, and two minutes later, Jack O Donoghue drilled in an effort from the edge of the area to make it a single goal deficit. Pouring forward now, in the ninety first minute of the game it looked like the unlikely comeback had been completed when Jack O’Donoghue found John O’Dwyer lurking, and O Dwyer drilled his effort high into the top-corner from an acute angle to level the scoring. But the home side were barely finished celebrating when they were caught on the counter. A long ball into the Kilsheelan penalty area found Jamie Morrissey free, and he fired home his second, with the last kick of the game, in the ninety third minute to win it for the visitors.

Bansha Celtic 2 – 3 Burncourt Celtic

Burncourt Celtic seem to have steadied the ship after a difficult start to the season when they picked up their second win on the trot against Bansha Celtic on Sunday morning. They took the lead in the twentieth minute with a goal from Matty D’Arcy, but Bansha were level ten minutes later when William O Mahony headed home a Dylan Swords corner, for a deserved equaliser. There were no more goals in the half and Burncourt were the first to strike again in the second period with D’Arcy scoring again to restore their lead on the hour mark. This allowed them to sit back and invite the home side to try to break them down, while looking for the opportunities on the counter, and they executed this plan to perfection fifteen minutes from the end when Burncourt added the vital third goal. Bansha never gave up though and pulled back a goal six minutes from time. But it wasn’t enough to snaffle a point and Burncourt continue their march up the table.

Third Division Round Up

In the other three games in the Third Division, Killenaule added their third win of the season with a good win over a Tipperary Town side who seem to be going backwards after a good start to their campaign. The home side put four past the visitors without reply to maintain their push for promotion and possibly even a title challenge. And the Divisional leaders Powerstown allowed the bunch to come up behind them when they dropped their first points of the season away to a Two Mile Borris side who have been blowing hot and cold in their season so far. A goal each and a point each was a result of the draw between the two sides at Newhill Park on Sunday. The final game of the weekend was in Donohill who have been struggling, and their lot got no better when they went down by three goals to one against a Cahir Park side that had been propping up the league standings at the start of play, but who now jump up into potential promotion contention as a result of a second win on the bounce, such is the tightness of the Division so far.

TSDL Youths 18th September  Match Reports

Clonmel Celtic 6 – 2 Cullen Lattin

Clonmel Celtic have been setting the pace at the top of Youths football this season and they continued their good form with another convincing win on Saturday afternoon, this time against a Cullen team that surprised many with their good performances in national competition at the same level last season. The home side started well, and probably should have been ahead after only five minutes but for Paddy Ormonde’s effort sliding just wide of the post when the visiting keeper looked well beaten. But the visitors grew into the game and took the lead in the twenty second minute when Javier Serrano slotted home after intense pressure from the away side. But the home side hit back within ten minutes and levelled the game thanks to Ciaran Fitzpatrick’s goal after some very intricate build up play. Level at half time, the home side completely dominated the second period and scored five goals in a fifteen-minute spell when it looked like almost everything they tried came off. Adam Costin started the spree, before Jack Lawlor, Senan Butler, Julian Kerton and a second by Ciaran Fitzpatrick blew the visitors away. Dylan Mc Grath scored a fine goal for the visitors seven minutes from the end, but it proved to be no more than a consolation.

Clonmel Town 2 – 3 Two Mile Borris


Two Mile Borris kept pace with Clonmel Celtic at the top of the Youths table when they picked up another impressive win at Ferryhouse on Saturday against a strong Clonmel Town side. The game was tight game set pieces playing a major part throughout. The visitors were on top early on and pinned their hosts back for much of the half, but were unable to really create any clear cut chances. They did finally make a breakthrough when they were awarded a penalty kick near the end of the half and fired home to go in front. But within minutes, the home side had a penalty of their own, and against the run of play Darragh Cronin stepped up and fired home, to send the teams to the break level at one all.  Second half was played mainly in the middle of the pitch for the first twenty minutes, with neither side able to impose themselves on the other. But in the seventieth minute a free kick into the Clonmel area was met by the head of Cronin and it ricocheted off a defender into his own net to give the home side the lead. Town looked good for the lead at this stage, but they held it for less than five minutes before a defensive mix up allowed Borris in to level the game again.  The game was a lot more open at this stage with both sides trying to win the three points. Unfortunately for Town it was the visitors who got the vital third goal after a corner kick was converted to the net, and Borris closed up shop to ensure the victory in the end.

Munster Junior Cup Results 11/09/2022 Match Reports

Clonmel Celtic 1 – 2 St Michael’s

When the draw was made for the first round of this years Munster Junior Cup South Tipperary section, this was always going to be seen as the glamour tie, with a rejuvenated Clonmel Celtic side going toe to toe with their perennial rivals from Tipperary town. And the game lived up to its billing, even if the underdogs were unable to dump the Saints out of the competition at the first time of asking. A very wet surface contributed to the lively encounter, and the hosts had the first effort on goal with Tom Holland batting away a powerful effort from Seanie Hawkins after just two minutes. The away side settled into the game having lots of possession without really threatening the Celtic goal, but they did come close in the twenty eight minute with Fabian Kerton in the home goal getting down well to deny David Slattery. The home side had the best chance to open the scoring minutes before the break when Darren Sweeney was taken down in the penalty box, but Tom Holland dived to his left to push away Seanie Hawkins spot kick effort. Celtic were left to rue this miss, as just four minutes later they conceded a penalty themselves that David Slattery made no mistake with, and he send his side to the break with a goal lead. The visitors started the second half on the front foot and doubled their lead when Celtic failed to clear and Russell Quirke fired though a number of players to find the net five minutes after the restart. But they were given a lifeline minutes after the hour mark, when Sweeney was pulled down in the box for a second time, and this time Ayo Williams converted to make it two goals to one. Celtic pushed hard for an equaliser and Sweeney came closest twenty minutes from the end with an effort that just cleared the bar. The Saints always remained a threat going forward and Slattery came close to restoring their two goal lead with a header that was just over fifteen minutes from time. But there were to be no more goals, and in the end, it was the record cup winners that continued on in the competition.

Peake Villa 4 – 1 Rosegreen Rangers

Peake Villa entertained Rosegreen in the first round of the Munster Junior Cup in what was perfect conditions for a match at the Tower Field in Thurles on Sunday out. The visitors knew this was going to be a difficult task, and set out to frustrate the home side, doing so until a wonderful Dylan Coady strike found the top left hand corner of the net to put the home side one up in the twenty first minute. Five minutes later, Keith Cahill weaved his way through the Rosegreen defence and slotted home coolly to make it two goals to nil and give his side a comfortable cushion. The held this lead to the break and the second period started much the same as the first half finished with the home side doing all the attacking, adding a third goal when Robbie Stapleton made it three in the fifty second minute. To Rosegreen’s credit they never gave up and pulled a goal back through Gavin Ryan with a nice finish to the bottom corner in the sixty third minute. But the home side were to have the final say when Dale Loughnane made a good run down the left wing and he crossed to Robbie Stapleton who made no mistake to grab his second of the day ten minutes from time.

Cashel Town 3 – 2 Powerstown

This was a real banana skin for the Premier League side who have found the going rough this season, and then to be pitted against a team that are flying in the Third Division. But in the end the hosts managed to pull through by the odd goal in five, despite making hard work of the tie at times. It didn’t look like they were going to have much trouble when Kyle Ryan put them a goal up inside the first minute of the game, and they were well on top afterwards. But Powerstown eventually played themselves back into the tie, and got themselves level in the tenth minute when David Grace got behind the home defence to finish neatly. Cashel responded by resuming their dominance by the Third Division side managed to keep them at bay until the break. Continuing to sit back, Powerstown were always a danger on the break, and they caught the hosts with a classic break on the hour mark, moving the ball quickly upfield to see Stephen Lahart find some space in the Cashel area and he headed his team in front with an excellently taken goal. But the home side didn’t panic, and they were back in the game within five minutes when Darragh Browne was fouled for a penalty and Kyle Ryan finished to the net. Both sides seemed to tire after that, and the game looked like it was heading for extra time. But a hopeful long ball out of the Cashel defence five minutes from time managed to elude everyone and nestle in the net to give his side their place in the nest round of the competition.

Old Bridge 0 – 1 Bansha Celtic

A hugely frustrating game for the home side who missed the opportunity of causing a major upset in this first round Munster Junior Cup tie. The Bridge enjoyed the lion’s share of the early possession but failed to create any notable chances. In the twenty sixth minute, the game looked to have swung really to their advantage when the visiting keeper received his second yellow card for a rash challenge, giving them a player advantage but they were still unable to break down the unyielding Celtic defence before the break. As the game wore on, the Premier League side used all their experience and were extremely dangerous on the break. This coupled with the wastefulness of the home side was always likely to fall in their favour, and they struck the fateful blow with fourteen minutes to go, when a shot was saved by the home keeper, only to bounce back off a defender and nestle in the home net. Despite their best efforts from then to the end Old Bridge never came close to levelling the game and the visitors will be happy to be in the pot for the next round.

Two Mile Borris 8 – 0 Mullinahone

Two Mile Borris continued their excellent early season form by easing past Mullinahone in the first round of this years Munster Junior Cup at Newhill Park on Sunday morning. In charge right from the off, two goals inside five minutes from star striker Jamie Carey gave them the control they wanted, and when Jack Cleary added a brace himself around the half hour mark they made sure that the days outcome was going to be what they desired at the outset. Whatever chance the away side might have had of making anything of the game was ripped away from them when new signing Daniel Rafter added a fifth for the home side in the final minute of the first half. The second period got no better for the visitors when Carey completed his hat trick five minutes in, and two goals in the final twenty minutes from Jack Hackett and Loren O Toole gave the home side a very comprehensive win.

Clonmel Town B 1 – 2 Peake Villa B

Peake Villa’s reserves got the better of Clonmel Town’s in a game played in atrocious conditions in Ferryhouse on Sunday morning. Although Kevin Kirwan hit the side netting for the home side after two minutes and the visitors had a couple of long range efforts on target, the conditions made it difficult for the two sides to find any rhythm in their respective games. Stalemate at the break, the second half was a livelier affair and in the sixty seventh minute good work by the hosts led to Ben Smith turning the Peake defence to slot the opener home with a neat finish. The lead was short lived however, and only two minutes later a cross from Kevin Patan was tapped home by Conor Murphy to level it up. Both teams went in search of the winner and fifteen minutes from time, some sloppy defending by the hosts allowed Villa’s Alex Moloney to put his side two goals to one up. Town threw everything at their opponents from then to the end of the game and had numerous chances to equalise but poor finishing was to be their downfall as the Thurles side held onto the lead for and a place in the next round of competition.

Clerihan 2 – 0 Tipperary Town

There is always the chance of an upset in cup football, and this was delivered last Sunday when Second Division Clerihan brought high flying Tipperary Town down to earth with a hard fought two goal win, that very few would have predicted before the game. Both teams started tamely enough in what was a very open game. That changed in the twenty third minute when the home side took the lead after what looked like an innocuous cross was diverted into own net by a Town defender. Buoyed by this, the home side went close to doubling their lead ten minutes before the break through Jonas Kerr only for a last minute tackle, to see the ball fly outside of the post and away to safety. The second period started brightly for the visitors, dominating possession but never really managing to test the home keeper. Steven Quinn dropping deep and Ryan Maher on wing started to dictate the game for the visiting side, and Marky Roche was terribly unlucky not to hit an equaliser when he saw his effort hit the post twenty minutes from the end. Probably still wondering how they managed not to score, the visitors were caught cold from the kick out and some brilliant play saw the ball end and the feet of Daniel Quigley, and he shot low into the bottom corner from all of twenty five yards to put his side in a very strong position. Keith Flannery made a  great save from Vinny Godfrey in the eightieth minute to keep his sides two goal advantage, and set them up to withstand a late onslaught from the away side, whose hopes were dented even further by being reduced to ten men three minutes from time. In the end, the home side held on, to the delight of their supporters.

Cahir Park 1 – 2 Wilderness Rovers

After a brilliant season last term, Wilderness Rovers have had a flat start to this campaign, but they got their first win in an entertaining game in Cahir on Sunday afternoon. This was an excellent game of football played in very wet conditions, and the home side started the brighter deservedly taking the lead in the twentieth minute when Hicham Briem finished off a very good team move. The visitors were always dangerous, but were unable to fashion many clear chances in that first period and the home side managed to keep their slender lead to the break. The second half continued to be an even affair with very little created by both sides and Eoghan Doyle in goal for the hosts keeping the visitors at bay when called upon. But he could do very little ten minutes from the end when the Wildies drew level thanks to a deflection after a shot back into the area from a cleared corner kick. And with the game seemingly destined for extra time, the home sides hearts were broken when the visitors struck a late late goal to send them into the next round of the competition.

Galbally United 2 – 1 Killenaule Rovers

This game had to wait until the second half to really take off, with neither side taking control of matters in the first period and real chances being very thin on the ground. The best of those that did come was when Ger Quinlan was denied by a point blank save from the visitors keeper to send the teams to the break level. It only took five minutes of the second period however to see the deadlock broken when Jordan Dineen took advantage of some good build up play to put the home side in front. They had a chance to double that lead minutes after the hour mark, when Eoin Mc Grath was pulled down in the area, but Dineens spot kick effort was brilliantly saved. And three minutes later they were left to rue the miss when Jonathon Ivors blasted home from all of twenty five yards out to level the game. But as good as the goal was, it still wasn’t the goal of the game as that arrived minutes later when Eoin O Mahoney fired a thunderbolt to the net that gave the Killenaule keeper no chance. Both teams continued to push for goals from there till the end, but there were to be none and the home side took the spoils in the end.

Premier League reports Sept 11th

Clonmel Town 2 – 1 Vee Rovers

In the only game played in the Premier League at the weekend Clonmel Town maintained their 100% record thanks to a two goals to one victory at home over a resolute Vee Rovers on Sunday afternoon. The visitors were without the services of a number of regular starters but managed to keep the home side at arms length for the opening half an hour. Kyle Cuddy, David Morrissey and Alan o Donnell all came close to opening the scoring, but it was the always dangerous Rhys O Regan who finally broke the deadlock, when nine minutes before the break he received a superb pass from Keith Guiry, turned and shot low into the corner of the net. Despite being the better side, the hosts were unable to add to this tally before the break, and had to wait another fifteen minutes into the second period before finally adding to the scoreline. Craig Guiry has been having an excellent start to his season, and he got on the end of an Alan O Donnell cross to head superbly into the net giving the home side a degree of comfort. But within five minutes, a free from the visitors Shane McGrath found its way past Evan Comerford in the home goal to give Rovers an unlikely way back into the game. But Town regained their composure and whilst never really threatening to increase their lead, they were equally comfortable at the back. They ran out comfortable winners and will be delighted with their four wins from four under their new management.

Second Division Sept 11th

St Nicholas 1 – 1 Cashel Town

Cashel Town travelled to Danny O Dwyer Park on Sunday morning after having to give up home advantage in this tie and found themselves a goal behind in the ninth minute when an excellent move by the hosts saw Eoin O Riordan find James Scanlon free in the area and the striker made no mistake from less than ten yards out. After that the visitors rallied and were unlucky not to be back on level terms when they had a shot skim off the crossbar in the twenty fifth minute. The home side had a similar experience just before the break but could not add to their advantage before half time. The game turned in the fifty fifth minute when Brian Lowry, the home sides imperious centre half had to go off with an injury and while the Saints were readjusting their defence, Cashel’s Sean Mc Cormack headed in an equaliser a minute later. After that the game was end to end with both sides having chances. The best fell to James Scanlon who had the ball in the net five minutes from time, only to see his score chalked off for an offside infringement. In the end the draw was the fairest result and both sides shared the points.

Dualla 5 – 1 Suirside

These two teams battled all the way last season in the Third Division, but had different starts in this years Second, and Dualla badly needed a result after starting their new campaign with two straight defeats. And they got it with a brilliant performance that consigned the visitors to their first league defeat in almost two years. Right from the off, the home side took the game to their rivals and were awarded a penalty in the opening minutes when Tossy Ryan was brought down in the area. The spot kick was dispatched by Stevie Coppinger to open the scoring and within minutes they had doubled that advantage when Ryan got his own goal with a neat finish beyond the keeper. Flying now, Eoin Moloughney added a third when he took advantage of a mix up in the Suirside defence, and the home side made sure of the points when they added a fourth when Ryan was set up by Paudie Ryan to put him through on goal minutes before the break. Early into the second half Dualla added a fifth when Ger O Dwyer climbed highest to finish with a convincing header from a corner kick. As the half wore on, Suirside kept battling and managed to pull a consolation goal back when Gavin Sheehan found space and with a good strike found the net. But it was no more than a consolation, and the home side easily played out a very convincing and very well-deserved home win.

TSDL Third Division 11th September 2022

Bansha Celtic 2 – 5 Kilsheelan United

Kilsheelan United put two wins back to back for quite a long time when they travelled to Bansha to overcome their hosts on Sunday afternoon last. The visitors started well and were first on the score sheet within five minutes, before doubling that advantage to two by the twentieth. The home side pulled a goal back on the half hour mark through Aiden Coffey, and that was it until Adam Hennessy levelled the game early in the second half with another well taken goal. That was as good as it got for the home side however as the visitors asserted their physicality on a young Bansha side and they hit three goals in the final twenty minutes to secure the win.

TSDL Youths 11th September  

Bansha Celtic 2 – 2 Clonmel Town

The home side settled into the game quite quickly and could have broken the deadlock early on, only to be denied by a brace of excellent saves from the visiting keeper. But Celtic continued to push, and midway through the half finally opened the scoring when Leigh Murphy rose highest to head into the top corner of the net. This seemed to shake the visitors into action, and they dominated exchanges after this, finally pressuring the home defence into a mistake and getting an equalising goal through a home defender putting through his own net. Soon after this, this hosts were rocked again when some poor defending allowed Darragh Cronin to put Town in front with a shot from the edge of the six yard area. The visitors took this lead to the break, but the stoppage allowed the home side to regroup and they retook control of the game in the second half, albeit finding it difficult to break down some very resolute defending from Town. However with just ten minutes left, they got the reward their good play deserved when a cross into the Town area was met by Eoghan Byrnes and he headed back across goal into the far corner of the net. The two teams had a couple of half chances afterwards to try to take all three points but in the end the draw was probably the fairest result.

Mullinahone 5 – 3 Donohill and District


Mullinahones youths kept up their good start to the season when they consigned the visitor from Donohill to their third defeat in the season in a game filled with goals on Saturday afternoon. Dominant throughout the first period, the home side found themselves two goals to the good by half time thanks to a pair of goals from John Carroll and Philip Dunne. The visitors did play better in the second period and pulled a goal back early on when Darragh Kiely found the net. This saw a glut of goals being scored by both sides, with Liam Doyle and Adam O Connell having goals for the hosts being cancelled out by two more from Conor Gantley and Sean O Shea for Donohill to leave the game on a knife edge at four goals to three going into the final moments. But with the visitors pushing for the levelling goal, a second on the break from Adam O Connell ensured that Mullinahone would take all three points in the end.

FAI Youth Cup preliminary round  

Deen Celtic (Kilk.) 3 – 4 Cullen Lattin (AET 2-2 FT)

Cullen headed to Castlecomer on Sunday for the preliminary round of the youths national cup, and the game didn’t disappoint the huge crowd who witnessed a battle the whole way to the final whistle. The home side hit first with a great strike in the twentieth minute from their centre forward who looked a really good player right from the start of the game. Cullen did settle though and were probably the better team from there to the break but unable to get the ball into the net. The continued to dominate in the second period and finally levelled matters around the hour mark when Paddy Downey finished off a brilliant team goal. It was all the visitors now, and Downey was just about to pull the trigger on a second goal in the seventieth minute, only to be fouled and see the referee point to the spot. But up stepped Dylan McGrath and he made no mistake, putting the TSDL side in front. Though at that time, there only looked like being one winner, the Kilkenny side thundered back into the game and finished strongly, scoring an equaliser five minutes from time and sending the game into an extra twenty minutes.

But Cullen re-established their lead minutes in with another good team goal that saw Stephen Carey and Tristan Stokes set up Dylan McGrath through to score his second, and put his side back in front.  But back came Celtic again to score with just five minutes left in the second period, making it odds on that the game would have to be decided by the dreaded penalty shoot out route. That was until the visitors took things into their own hands again inside the final ninety when Downey who was brought down again, this time right on the edge of the box. But that didn’t stop Tom Ryan Bob, who flashed a winner into the bottom corner to the delight of the travelling fans.

Stoneyford United (Kilk.) 0 – 6 Clonmel Celtic

Showing some great early season form in the TSDL Youth league, Clonmel Celtic’s youths made the perfect start to their FAI Cup campaign with a six goal away win away to Kilkenny side Stoneyford Utd. The Clonmel side started started very strongly and actually scored all their goals in the first half. Their standout contributor was Senan Butler who scored a hat trick while Julian Kerton helped himself to a brace, with Aaron Costigan scoring his first goal for Celtic after just four minutes. This allowed the Tipperary side to take their foot off the pedal in the second half, but they never looked troubled and will now hope for a long deep run in this competition.